When was the last time you replaced your pillow? Considering that we spend a third of our lives in bed, it’s hard to imagine not wanting to prioritize the quality of this important sleep tool. However, it’s often an afterthought for most people; Rafael Pelayo, M.D., a sleep specialist at Stanford's Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine says, "I've been doing sleep medicine for 22 years, and no one has ever asked me a question about pillows before." If you’re still questioning the impacts of a quality pillow, here are five things to keep in mind:
- Quality pillows offer adequate neck support. No matter what your sleep position is, a good pillow will keep your head sitting squarely on your shoulders without bending back too far or reaching too far forward. This will prevent you from waking up with headaches or neck pain. The new Zefiro pillow from Protect-A-Bed contains inner-spring coils that adapt and respond independently to weight, shape, and movement.
- Quality pillows help you sleep more soundly. When your pillow properly supports your neck, you’ll fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. A recent study found that disrupted sleep is actually worse than getting none at all – so the more soundly you sleep, the better you’ll feel the next day.
- Quality pillows will keep you cool. Countless sleep studies have identified the benefits of snoozing in a cool environment. Pillows like the Snow Pillow from Protect-A-Bed transfer heat away from the body and are built with special material that feels cool-to-the-touch – no matter how long you’ve been sleeping on it.
- Quality pillows can help you snore less. Snoring is not only a common annoyance for your sleep partner, but it could also be a sign of bigger concerns – like sleep apnea. Over time, pillows can collect dust, dead skin and other allergens that can negatively affect your sleep. To combat this, Protect-A-Bed pillows are designed with dust mite barriers and build with materials that combat allergies. It’s also a good idea to use pillow protectors to further strengthen your safeguard.
- Quality pillows can help lessen back pain. Just as your sleep position can affect your neck, it also plays an important role in back pain. Having a quality pillow will help keep your spine in proper alignment, which can prevent and/or alleviate those frustrating posterior tweaks.
No matter how you sleep, investing in a quality pillow is an integral part of a good night’s rest. Sleep well!