Huffpost Live shared a list of foods to avoid before bed. Some we’ve heard before, but others may be a surprise! You can watch the full video at HuffpostLive.com.
Photo Credit: LastRicksResort.blogspot.com via Google Images
- Caffeine can actually stay in your system for up to 10 hours. If you have a coffee at lunch, the caffeine could still be in your system by bedtime. Dark chocolate also has caffeine, so take it easy on dessert.
- Alcohol can induce an immediate deep sleep, but doesn’t keep you asleep. Many people fall right asleep after their head hits the pillow, but there’s a good chance of waking up around 5 a.m.
- Fatty foods disrupt the internal clock. These foods also lead to a lot of discomfort, leaving many feeling bloated and full.
- Steak should also be avoided close to bed. Protein is harder to digest than a simple carb and can keep your body up digesting at night.
- Spicy foods can lead to heartburn, but they also physically increase body temperature. Body temperature drops just before bed and the heat from the food can confuse your brain, causing restless sleep.
- Grapefruit can also trigger heartburn and acid reflux – both can kick in once someone lies down. Tomato and peppermint can also be culprits.
- Water, although good for you, can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom run. Try not to drink a lot of water in the evening and avoid it altogether about one hour before bed.